The Barista accurately collects payments and makes change to close out guest checks totaling food and beverage purchases in a friendly and courteous manner.
Receives and visually inspects guest check for any inaccuracies, then closes the check to the proper method of payment, (i.e., cash, credit card or house charge).
Ascertains guest satisfaction; in the event of dissatisfaction, tactfully negotiates accommodation.
Complies with accounting guidelines regarding receipt of payments, check total verification, tip disbursement, cash drawer and house bank management.
Balance house bank at the end of the shift. Retrieves and returns bank from vault to workstation and return, to ensure accountability.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the hotel.
- Perform any general cleaning tasks using standard hotel cleaning products as assigned by supervisor to adhere to health standards.
- Perform other duties as requested, such as answering telephone and taking special guest requests.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to operate a cash register, make change, total guest checks, count total bank, prepare cash drops, total all other charges and understand portion sizes as relating to pricing.
- Ability to effectively deal with and resolve conflict situations, such as inaccurate check total.
- Ability to read and speak the English language sufficient to understand menus and special promotions, and communicate with guests.
- Ability to operate a keyboard and Point of Sale procedures to handle cashier functions.
- Ability to sit and/or stand and work continually in confined spaces.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school or any other combination of education, training or experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. High school diploma preferred.
No prior experience required. Prior hospitality and cashiering experience preferred.